PhD Studentship on the Epidemiology of Tinnitus in Europe
Closing date: 22 June 2017
Salary: The position is remunerated by a living allowance of around €40,000 per year (plus mobility and family allowance), in accordance with the EC Marie Skłodowska-Curie financial guidelines.
EUROPEAN SCHOOL FOR INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH IN TINNITUS (ESIT) H2020-MSCA-ITN-722046
The Laboratory of Lifestyle Epidemiology of IRCCS - Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche “Mario Negri”, Milan, Italy (www.marionegri.it), is offering a PhD position on the Epidemiology of Tinnitus in Europe (full-time; start: September 2017; duration: 36 months).
This position is part of the European School on Inter-disciplinary Tinnitus research (ESIT, www.esit.tinnitusresearch.org) project, which is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action funded by the European Commission (EC).
The PhD work will be carried out at the Laboratory of Lifestyle Epidemiology of the IRCCS – Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche “Mario Negri”, Milan, Italy.
The PhD degree will be conferred by the School of Medicine of the University of Nottingham, UK.
Data available on the epidemiology of tinnitus in Europe are inadequate. In particular, inconsistencies in terms of study design, population sampling and tinnitus assessment do not allow the comparison and pooling of tinnitus prevalence estimates across countries. Moreover, most of the current knowledge on the determinants of tinnitus comes from cross-sectional studies, which are inadequate to infer causality.
The main objectives of this project include: i) the first pan-European estimates of the prevalence of tinnitus and hearing problems; and ii) the identification of modifiable risk factors for tinnitus (e.g. those associated with lifestyle and/or environment) and hearing.
These aims will be fulfilled by taking advantage of a pan-European Survey on Tinnitus conducted in several European Union (EU) Member States and a hospital-based case-control study conducted in Italy.
Within the PhD programme, the successful applicant will conduct both descriptive and analytical epidemiological studies to provide contemporary and high-quality data that are comparable across EU countries. This will be realized by:
- Active participation in the training activities of the ESIT project;
- Analysis of data from a large pan-European cross-sectional study with the aim of estimating the prevalence of tinnitus and hearing loss;
- Analysis of data from analytical studies (i.e., case-control and cohort studies) to identify modifiable risk factors for tinnitus;
- Conduction of systematic reviews on tinnitus.
- ScD (or equivalent) in public-health, biostatistics, mathematics, computer science, medicine, biology or any other field related to the project;
- Excellent English in speech and writing;
- Strong knowledge in biostatistics;
- Experience with statistical software, in particular with packages SAS and R, is preferred;
- Experience in writing scientific reports or articles;
- Ability and willingness to work as a team player.
The successful applicant should meet the academic entry requirements for a PhD programme at the University of Nottingham:
- Must have a first class or upper 2.1 honours degree (or equivalent), or an MSc/MA;
- For applicants from a non-English speaking country, an English language certificate (IELTS 6.5 or equivalent) is required.
The successful applicant should also meet the eligibility criteria for Marie Skłodowska-Curie Early Stage Researchers:
- Must be within the first four years (full-time equivalent) of his/her research career;
- Must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, study, etc.) in Italy for more than 12 months in the last three years immediately prior to their recruitment.
What is offered:
- A diverse and attractive environment for inter-disciplinary research training with close clinical connections;
- High-quality education in ESIT project;
- Hands-on research training in an inter-disciplinary team of experienced researchers and clinicians;
- Excellent opportunities for cooperation with an international network of tinnitus experts;
- Excellent supervision on the PhD research at multiple levels;
- A 3-year PhD programme with access to leading training courses and international conferences on epidemiology and tinnitus fields;
- A competitive salary;
- A PhD degree, conferred by the School of Medicine of the University of Nottingham, UK.
The position is remunerated by a living allowance of around 40,000€ per year (plus mobility and family allowance), in accordance with the EC Marie Skłodowska-Curie financial guidelines.
How to apply:
Applicants should send in PDF format a short motivation letter, a copy of the CV and names and contact information of two references via e-mail (object of the e-mail: “ESIT application: [FAMILY NAME]”) to:
Dr Silvano Gallus (Head, Laboratory of Lifestyle Epidemiology; IRCCS – Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche “Mario Negri”, Milan, Italy; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application deadline: 22 June 2017
Informal enquires may be addressed to
Dr. Silvano Gallus (tel: +39 02 39014657, e-mail: email@example.com) or to
Prof. Deborah Hall (tel: +44 (0) 115 823 2600, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
For further information, please visit ESIT website: www.esit.tinnitusresearch.org